Thursday 29 March 2012

Probably The Greatest Goal Ever Scored @ The Horse, Waterloo

My short play, 'Probably The Greatest Goal Ever Scored' was performed as a rehearsed reading for two nights at The Horse, Waterloo, London by the lovely First Draft theatre team this week. Having been selected to be one of seven plays to be performed out of over 250 submissions, this was a nice chance to have a London airing of one of my newer pieces, with the knowledge in the back of my mind that four of them would go on to further production after an audience vote. Freya Alderson and Toby Lizst took to the roles perfectly, Jo Harris' direction added new life to it and brilliant producer Laura Harling put together an eclectic showcase of highly entertaining new writing. Despite getting back late both nights in a row (which as a result has made me look a complete mess both days), I've thoroughly enjoyed these evenings - some really strong writing there, nice venue, nice audiences and great production team. Great to catch up with Az Hussain too (who I met a few years back when she appeared in the London performances of my play, 'An Ambulance Stuck In Traffic' and then we worked together on the Patrick & Cameron radio sitcom) and she stole the show with her performance in 'Big Love' by Alexander Moschos. Also good to go to the second night with Grace (who was in the original Cambridge performance), Michelle and Alan - their support flattered me, wonderful people, wonderful friends.

Found out by via a text from Az whilst on the train back that my piece has been selected for further production and will now run for 6 nights in London next month. This amazed me as it was an audience-vote type situation and I'm an out-of-town writer meaning complete strangers have voted for my work, but it's also made me feel incredibly happy that this slightly daft little play that I'm very fond of is going to be seen by more people. Happy, tired, but mostly happy Paul.

No comments: