Friday 26 November 2010

Christmas busy stuff


I thought that by now things would be starting to calm down a bit, but they're actually getting busier than ever, these are crazy busy times. But I like them, a lot, I'm well aware I put myself in these situations. Rehearsals for the Christmas show started alarmingly slowly (unlike last year where it just happened instantly) but I get the feeling, especially after tonight's session with the other play, that we're finding our feet with it. Kevin and Heather in particular are working so hard outside of rehearsals to make this work, and I think it will do. The two plays show both sides to my writing - the main piece, 'Santa Claus, And The Unfortunate Allegations' is the lively, silly one with a daft plot and lots of jokes, whilst the other piece, '(Dawn Palmer Just Wants To Be) Lonely This Christmas' is a gentle, awkward piece, with an honest scenario, and a few big lines but most of it is character-driven stuff. I actually think that '(Dawn Palmer Just Wants To Be)...' is my best piece of writing in years, yet I know full well it's the other piece that people will come out of the show talking about. If people actually turn up, and all those other negative thoughts that I have pre-show. Alongside those two shows, the audience will also be given a CDR of a festive radio comedy that I'm writing that will be broadcast a week later - on Christmas Day, on Cambridge City Radio at 3pm. It's a nice slot to be given. I've not written it yet, but I wrote 'Dawn Palmer...' very quickly, and if we go into the studio next week to record the radio one I'd best start writing it, probably tonight. Yes, writing on a Friday night with a four pack of Carlsberg, Mariah Carey Christmas album and a tube of Pringles. Sad, but this seems to be happening a lot with these deadlines...

Meanwhile all things band are equally busy - the forthcoming Eureka Stockade album is getting a LOT of attention, including festival offers for next year, we always knew it was good (I'm proud of it - a lot of work has gone into this from a lot of people) but this is very exciting. We have the launch gig of that in 2 weeks time, next week it's the launch of the Under The Streetlamp album which is on a much more reserved scale (because we're never in the same room as each other anymore), and then there's the totally massive issue of the Christmas album. The album, 'It's Going To Be An Awkward Christmas, Darling' has been one of the most intense, but enjoyable process of my musical career, Helen and Martin are both geniuses, and although the release is now with the distributors there's still much to be done in the means of promotion, Helen and I have gone 50/50 with that side of things but it's going to take a fair old amount of time. It's Christmas though, and I love a bit of Christmas. You can hear half of the Christmas album here by the way: www.reverbnation.com/awkwardchristmas

With the 2 Christmas plays, but the radio play, creatively stretching me, I also have 12 gigs in December. I started this post as a moan, but actually - I love it, I totally love it - it's me doing what I do, and people accepting it. Maybe that's the Carlsberg/Pringles/Mariah Carey talking though.

No comments: