Tuesday 2 September 2014

Movin'/Drummin'

After a full run at the Edinburgh Fringe, any performer with an ounce of common sense would probably take a little time out to rest, or at least adjust to 'normal' life again. However, in my position, being away from the band for the best part of a month meant only one thing...the gigs were going to build up. 5 hours after arriving home from rainy but beautiful Edinburgh I was back on the road and, in the space of 9 days of being back, I've played 7 shows with Fred's House already. It's a treat to be back, I've missed it all; my drums, the tunes, my bandmates. We've been dashing all over the country again playing some festivals (some of them great, others less so - but that's how this circuit works) and the odd private function. This is a special band, you know, and people outside of the project seemed to have noticed too - the following continues to grow, there's a continued buzz about it all. Last night we were back in a tiny rehearsal room working on material for what will eventually be the second album; the new stuff that Griff and Vix have come up with is brilliant, they're growing as songwriters and as a unit this band are growing together too. Another gig tonight (a corporate show), and then another three shows this weekend - a welcome return to London, and two festival slots, plus I'm back with The British IBM for a special one-off gig.

In between all of this I've been moving house. Possibly bad timing considering my schedule, but it all worked out okay in the end. I've moved closer to Cambridge into a very nice Victorian cottage in a peaceful village. It's a very quiet house, something I'll have to get used to, but I can see myself writing some good stuff there. I'm itching to write new material, just need to unpack first before finding my perfect creative slot, although looking at my schedule for the next couple of weeks I get the sense I may be living amongst a sea of boxes for a good while yet...

No comments: