Thursday 6 February 2014

The sweet randomness of life

It's been a great week or so, if a little weird. On Sunday night I played with Fred's House at the Cambridge Corn Exchange - it's a big old space, and the sixth time I've played there now. It was a rammed show and we were performing as part of the Chinese New Year celebrations. We're not Chinese but were made to feel very welcome indeed, it was a slightly intimidating and wonderful evening with a dragon, lots of dancers and it ended with us joining all joining our fellow performers on stage for a traditional folk song. Still can't quite get my head around it, but happy enough. A night before that I met up with Grace and Ali to chat projects; Grace is buying a narrow boat soon and we're going to tour in it, as you do. A couple days before that I tried out my new fringe show, Getting Lost In My Hometown, in the living room of the house I live in, in front of my landlord/housemate and his girlfriend. That was an odd evening. That was quite a run of odd evenings, actually.

Things this week feel back to normal; outstanding session for the new Flaming June record on Monday night (she's gone all indie, it was a joy to drum on this), on Tuesday played in Nottingham at the wonderful Malt Cross with Fred's House and got very lost both ways (on the way back, due to an A14 closure, I went via Leicester (twice), back to Nottingham, Watford and then eventually home), last night I had a photoshoot for the new show in the capable hands of Distant Cloud photography - they make me look fairly reasonable, which is just how good those guys are. Today I've been getting my head around the scripts for the filming of my debut feature length, The Many Struggles Of Oscar Pike. I'm filming my scenes with the lovely Abi on Saturday, next week I'll be joined by Jess, Izzy and Dan. I wrote it early last year, it's amazing how much of it I dislike now though. Ah yes, and there's another project, which involves meeting lots of former Spurs players, but I'll tell you more about that another time, I have proper good backing from a proper established publication for this one now, which is exciting but equally means I have to do this properly. I could just do with a little more time, you know?

No comments: