Thursday 13 February 2014

Filming, more lounge action, drummin'

I started filming The Many Struggles Of Oscar Pike at the weekend - my solo scenes, and also scenes with Abi. It went remarkably well, but mustn't get too carried away with that. It looked messy, as intended, it's awkward, as intended. Abi's performances were spot on, as I expected. On Tuesday I filmed the French reggae scenes with Guilliame. Going to an open mic in a city pub, not telling the audience it's a spoof, and playing 2 terrible French reggae tunes is just...dangerous. I'm glad we got out without receiving too much abuse, but it didn't go down too well, it was really touch and go at times...

This weekend I'll be filming with Jess, Dan, Marcus, Izzy...if this all comes together as quickly as I want it to it will be a bloody miracle. But I feel, creatively, on good form at the moment - on Saturday night I performed the new show around Rob's house and whilst there were clearly bits that still need work (but that's the whole point of these lounge shows) it really is starting to gel. A couple people even called it "profound" - but that was possibly because it was I had such an amazing, creative, inspiring audience...other lounge shows will have a lot to live up to, audience-wise at least.

But it's not all about the poncing about on stage/camera, is it? Band-wise things feel focussed, really moving in the right direction this year. Fred's House have a drive and an ambition that appeals, the album sounds exceptional and the venues on the tour are proper nice venues too - I'm looking forward to it very much. And a sold-out gig with Dowsing tomorrow night at Trinity College, an unpredictable beast, as always, but as always I predict magic. Proper Dowsing magic.

No comments: