Tuesday 24 September 2013

Recording the jazz record/the first glimmers of Christmas

After a busy weekend of gigging (and writing frantically, ahead of the show tonight - more of that later), I was back in the studio on Sunday and Monday recording with Rohan Leach and Chris Lawrenson to complete our little instrumental jazz record. Written - but with enough scope for improvisation, recorded live within three takes but with overdubs, this was a really organic way to produce a piece of work - that we're all really proud of. Aided by top engineer/producer Bugs (who I've worked with a lot over the last year or so, he produced the British IBM album and also the forthcoming Fred's House release), the sound is bright, the playing is manic - it's jazz in it's loosest sense and there was a feeling that we all hit top form during these sessions. What started out as a bit of an experiment (this project initially came about when a big bunch of us went out for dinner earlier in the year and I got chatting Rohan) has turned into 5 high-energy, punchy, very clever, very original tunes. It's also very different to anything I've played on before. We're currently debating what to call it, but as soon as we've agreed on that (it may take a while...) we'll get it released and see where it goes. Maybe a gig or two in the future, hopefully anyway.

So tonight we're back to our regular new material sessions - we (Izzy and myself) do these once a month, but have had a bit of time off due to the Edinburgh shows etc. I'm quite looking forward to it, the fringe naturally inspired me a lot and as a result I've been writing constantly on my return. Most of the bits and bobs I've been working on have been with the rest of the 'Lounge Plays' in mind - which obviously means they're solo shows (tonight I'll give, 'How I Lost My Trousers' a go - that one is being recorded in Bristol in October), but we're also trying out a short slapstick comedy, 'You Lost Me At Hello' - it's a real farce, with Izzy and myself in loads of roles. The punchline is dreadful, so bad...but intentionally so. I write too much about relationships, and the intricate details of how they do and don't work - for this one I just wanted to take a slightly more relaxed view on the matter with characters saying exactly how they feel and avoiding the social awkwardness which often litters these situations. We'll see, it's effectively a sketch, but I think it's a nice one. Anyway, 8pm at CB2 in Cambridge if you read this before the show.

But whilst writing this material I can't help but notice we're nearing the end of September, and Christmas is suddenly creeping up once again. I've started booking tour dates for a new Christmas show (some familiar venues, some less familiar - should be a good 9 day run), band rehearsals for the Dowsing Christmas Cocktail kick in next week, and on Wednesday I'm meeting Grace for a bite to eat and to discuss a very festive project indeed - it's just a case of finding the time to do it properly. I hope so, though, Grace is a wonderful actress/singer and a close friend with big ideas. If I can squeeze these ideas in alongside the Dowsing jams, Fred's House gigs, recording sessions for the second British IBM album, Lounge Plays and tour show, I will. And besides, Christmas is brilliant, isn't it? I need very little motivation to do festive things.

No comments: