Saturday 21 September 2013

Gig repot: Folkstock, Hertfordshire

Bands: Fred's House, Flaming June
Venue: Folkstock Festival, Hertfordshire
Date: 21/09/13
Audience: A nice few of them to make it work
Set: Fred's House - Wrong Time, Norwegian Wood, Too Late To Go Home, Fine Life, Beautiful You; Flaming June - Rejoice, Stop The Ride, Rumplestiltskin, Nerves Of Steel, Little Love In A Cruel World, Wednesday's And Weekends, In Pursuit Of Happiness
Notes: This one has been brewing for a while; Folkstock is a shiny new festival targeting lovers of, well, folk music, with over 70 acts crammed into one day across three stages in deepest Hertfordshire. Lovingly organised by Helen - a friend (and sometime manager) of Flaming June, she certainly squeezed a lot of entertainment in; I wasn't able to hang around the site for too long but from what I did see it was pretty much act after act, so plenty to see. Such is the quickfire nature of the event, sets were kept short - and such is the nature of the soundman not letting me use a bass drum, my 'kit' was simply a snare and a conga. Still - both Fred's House and Flaming June put on good shows, in front of an enthusiastic audience in the slightly rainy countryside. I had to dash after the Flaming June set to play another show elsewhere, but from what I saw there's some good vibes about Folkstock, I hope it returns in 2014.

No comments: