Friday 26 July 2013

Gig report: Eureka Stockade @ Secret Garden Party Festival

Band: Eureka Stockade
Venue: The Secret Garden Party, Abbots Ripton

Date: 25/07/13
Audience: At the festival itself - thousands, in our tent - minimal but enthusiastic
Set: Speed Of Sound, Without You, If, Caught In A Fire, This Vow, All Alone, The Drinking Song, Through Every Darkness, Violence
Notes: After playing a few smaller festivals recently, last night was my first 'big' festival of the summer - Secret Garden Party. You know it's a big festival when it takes the best part of an hour to get signed in, and then you have absolutely no idea where your stage is (luckily I have band mates who are aware of my lack of navigational ability and who were able to find me). And the people...there's thousands of them, just everywhere - SGP really has turned into a major festival, which I found strange having first attended it about six years ago when it was much quieter. But by the time I did make it to our backstage area I was reminded why I like big festivals - you do get treated very well; top-notch house kit making it very easy for me, nice chill out/last minute rehearsal space, fantastic sound crew. This was our first Eureka Stockade live outing since 1st June (Strawberry Fair), and we hadn't had a chance to have a full rehearsal before this show, a show which was being recorded for BBC Radio...but we did okay, it took a few songs to really feel comfortable but by the time we were on, 'Caught In A Fire' we had completely hit our stride. A small but happy audience made it to our stage to watch Rob, Andy, Claudia, Anna and myself rattle through the tunes, it's good to be playing those songs again. Then had the expected delay in finding my car (downloaded an app for my mobile which is supposed to tell me where my car is...of course it didn't) but home comfortably before midnight.  

No comments: