Sunday 16 June 2013

Solo

This year's Edinburgh Fringe is going to be really amazing. I know it's the most exciting arts festival in the world anyway, but on a personal level things are going up a gear this time around. Last year we took two shows to the fringe and reflecting on the way home we came to the conclusion that it was too much for a small team - both 'There's Absolutely Nothing Wrong With Oscar Pike' and 'Probably The Greatest Goal Ever Scored' were strong shows, I felt, but we didn't have the resources, time or energy to promote them the way they should have been promoted. Anyway, this year we're taking three shows up there.

Sounds daft? It is, but I think we'll be okay. See, the model of the shows this year is different; we've gone back to a free venue which is the key - 40% of the fringe was free last year, I imagine it'll be even more than that this year. If you've not appeared on television or have an industry buzz around you (or if you can't afford a really expensive PR team), charging £7 for a show is considered a risk from an audience point of view - why pay money to see a complete unknown when there are hundreds of other shows that you could enjoy more for the cost of a tiny donation in a bucket afterwards? The fact we're back on the free circuit doesn't guarantee us an audience of course, but it gives us a fighting chance.

Not that it's all about the audience, of course - artistic integrity must surely be a factor too. I've grown a lot as an 'artist' since the last run - shortly after the Edinburgh run last year I hit the road with a solo-ish show with Claudia - a real eye opening experience that was fun but didn't always work, but then I went back, edited the show again to play to my newly discovered strengths (and weaknesses, of course) and things started to fall into shape with the second tour this year. It was a scary step being on stage for virtually an hour pretty much by myself and if you said to me a year ago all of those 'solo-ish' shows happened I would have dismissed the idea instantly.

I've just confirmed a completely solo show for the fringe.

Why? Because I like the challenge, of course - I'm loving being out of my comfort zone. The offer was reasonably last minute, but it's a great venue and a great time slot. 'Things Could Be Marvellous' will open on 4th August at the fringe, without any previews whatsoever. It's a blank canvas of a show, just myself and an audience - terrifying? No, exciting. Literally anything could happen - there's no safety barrier, not even a tech - I'm completely alone for this one, I'm not even sure if I'll have a director for it. Very exciting - nobody telling me what to do, this was an opportunity too good to turn down. When you're in the shower, or driving, and dreaming of doing 'that' show, this could be it. Or it could fall apart at any second.

It'll be a happy show, a hopelessly optimistic show. A story, set in a field, with a keyboard. It's about love, and imperfections, and scarecrows, and Britpop music. I want to come off stage feeling exhausted after this show; I want the audience to feel exhausted watching it. In a good way.

Obviously we still have two other shows at the fringe - 'Some Plays By Paul Richards' which I'll be doing with Hind - it's the tour show, I feel so relaxed doing this show now I'm really looking forward to it, and 'Redundancy Club' - alongside Izzy, which I still think is probably the finest thing I've written, Sarah is directing and Alan is doing the sound for this, rehearsals start next week and it opens in 9 weeks time at CB2 in Cambridge.

Next week I'm drumming for The Prisoner Of Mars, The Dowsing Sound Collective, Flaming June and Damian Cox in between writing my backside off (not literally) and all of the many bits of admin that doing three fringe shows requires. I'm listening to some brilliant new releases by Camera Obscura, I Am Kloot and Duke Special. I'm inspired by lots of things, I'm bored by many others - it's probably a good balance to have. Things aren't too bad right now, but they are going to be very exciting over the next few months...things really could be marvellous.

No comments: