Thursday 20 June 2013

Gig report: Flaming June @ CB2, Cambridge

Band: Flaming June
Venue: CB2, Cambridge

Date: 19/06/13
Audience: Half full, appreciative
Set: Rejoice, Stop The Ride, Rumplestiltskin, Nerves Of Steel, I Know What It's Like, Those Were The Days, Song For The Broken Hearted, Little Love In A Cruel World, The Devil's Daughter, Pyscho, Wednesdays & Weekends
Notes: "This next song is a bit depressing...in fact, they're all quite depressing really, aren't they?" was how Louise introduced, 'Song For The Broken Hearted.' The joy of these songs is the brutal honesty of them - yep, lyrically they are as dark as you can possibly imagine, but the passion in the performance hides it all so well. I arrived feeling flustered; I'd come straight from a very difficult and restricting Dowsing rehearsal, and before that I had the photo shoot for the 'Things Could Be Marvellous' show. Dianne very kindly got me water and beer, I decided to play congas sat down for this one - but then, 4 bars in, I felt awake again. The freedom and energy of Flaming June is a joyous thing - we played to a modest but appreciative crowd in the tiny basement of CB2 but it buzzed, in a hot and sweaty kind of way - I really enjoyed this show a lot, I needed a gig like this to let off steam.

No comments: