Thursday 7 February 2013

Stuff that I'm learning

I feel like I'm learning a lot at the moment. Perhaps it's because the stagnation of routine is coming to a close (well, when I leave the day job at the end of April), or perhaps it's purely because I'm just over thinking everything at the moment as I plot my next move in life. That sounds awfully dramatic, and to be honest - I'm probably not physically moving anywhere for a while yet, sorry good people of Shepreth who get annoyed with my late night blasts of Joe Jackson and Glen Hansard from the car stereo as I struggle to park on the seemingly-easy-but-difficult-in-the-dark-because-of-the-bins driveway.

Recording for the new Eureka Stockade album started this week - well, Andy and Rob have been working on it a while, but on Monday I was in to work on the drum parts. Our last album was really something I'm proud of, it was years ago now (2 and a bit years?) so glad to be back and working on the new tracks. Recorded the drum parts for 3 the other night - 2 of which crept into the live set last year, and the other one was a completely new track that Andy has written and it's by far the finest thing he's created, I reckon. In a brooding pop-rock kind of way, it's stunning. I couldn't quite hit my stride with this session at first, 'Caught In A Fire' - probably one of the easiest songs in the Eureka repertoire, just didn't feel right for a while, took about six takes, which is about triple my normal amount. We were using the house kit at the studio to save time, and the turning point seemed to be when the stool broke, I got mine from my car and suddenly I seemed to click into gear. So, what did I learn? Either, it's all about being comfortable in a recording session, or I have a very bony backside that needs the well-padded bliss of my 'Big Dog' seat that has served me so well over the years.

The tour of the play is coming up soon, the second week of April. I'm quite excited about the idea of it all - I just love touring, whether it be with a band, or play, there's something glorious about performing to different audiences every night, and I quite like the rush and panic of it all too. There will be plenty of that on this next tour - we are literally all over the place. It's virtually a solo show as before, but with a few key character moments from an actress - this time Hind Shubber, and I'm actually really looking forward to doing these plays again, in fact - I'm actually excited. What am I learning from this? Maybe I do like being on stage after all, which - considering two years ago (the first Oscar Pike show) I was a petrified wreck, this is a bit of a turnaround and not exactly on my life to-do list. But what also did I learn? I should never be in charge of booking a tour again. I'll announce the tour dates next week (still waiting on one of them to be confirmed, the other 7 are sorted) but it is just crazy, I may as well just rename it, 'The Tour That Killed My Ford Fiesta.' And the other crazy thing? On the back of this one, I've already confirmed three dates for a tour in November for a show that I've not written yet...

Just over a year ago I wrote a novel called, 'Big Hopes In Little Winhaven.' I wrote it quickly - I took a week off work, closed the blinds, stocked up on pizza and went for it. It was a great week. I'm quite proud of it. It's a piece of work that's intricate, the characters pile in, it requires a certain amount of patience from the reader. The reader I'd like to believe will be rewarded with a nice enough conclusion where everything comes together, I'd very much like the reader to sigh and feel satisfied by it at the end. I've re-written it various times before letting a few choice people see it. The problem is - those who have seen it are people I like and trust, and there's a real sense that as a novel it just doesn't really work. Bollocks. The issue seems to be is that it's written in my voice which, if you know me, I can just about get away with. But I'm not arrogant enough to think that a) lots of people who stumble into it on Amazon know me and b) even if you did know me, you would buy it anyway. There's enough of me out there already - part of me thinks I'd be better off turning, 'Big Hopes...' into a stage play, or at worse, just drunkenly telling the story to my mates in a pub. For those of you who think it doesn't work because I wrote it in 7 days - I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You can write a novel in seven days. It's just I didn't write one that is likely to appeal. I read somewhere before that people who have written a novel think they have a divine right to have it published - simply because they've gone through so much to write it in the first place. I understand and agree completely, which is why I'm not going to be 'releasing' it into the big wide world, probably ever. If you want a copy drop me a message and I'll happily send it to you. What did I learn here then? I'm probably not a novelist. Not wishing to sound arrogant, I'm doing a lot of things right at the moment, but being a novelist isn't one of them.

There's two Edinburgh Fringe shows that need writing, one that I'll be doing with Izzy, and one for Louise Hamilton. I'll have the first drafts nailed within the next month and then I'll have a bit of time on my hands. Time to give this novel writing thing another go, I reckon.

Currently reading: The Last Party by John Harris (Aidy lent me this outstanding book, I started reading it, left it at my parents' house when the flat flooded, forgot to bring it back, but finally back on it - and what a treat it is too)

Currently watching: How Not To Live Your Life - Series 2, Only Fools And Horses - Series 5, Match Of The Day

Currently listening to: Glen Hansard - Rhythm And Repose, Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar

Currently plotting: a rigorous exercise schedule, which is unlikely to be completed.


No comments: