Thursday 18 October 2012

New material evening

We finally launched the Fat Fox Productions new material evening tonight - a month later than planned due to a previous double booking, I'd been looking forward to this one for a while. As always for such events it was hit and miss - we had a really friendly little crowd with some good friends there, so I don't know why I was so nervous performing 'The Wallet' in front of them. It's probably because I know it's heading off on tour soon, and if it didn't work it would make things quite tricky. I was so nervous tonight - it was alarming, I don't know quite what was up with me, considering I was doing it with a script in hand. As a result the first half of it was pretty shaky, until I calmed down a bit and as a result the audience seemed to relax more as well. They generally laughed at the right places, I have no doubt this script is one of my best, but I need to really learn how to be a performer and quick or else the tour will be pretty horrible. The guest stand-up (Tomson Titus) was great and showed plenty of promise, and the performance of our radio sitcom pilot, Technically Single was perhaps a little slow but does work - structurally I'm really happy with it, Hind then did my new short piece, '6 Dead Animals' with so much charm it would be impossible to not enjoy it, and the evening concluded with guest band - Cudby-Calder who absolutely stormed it - highlight of the evening in my opinion, outstanding band and although I knew Steve and Clare really well I really had no idea what this new band of theirs would be like - awesome. Drinks afterwards, and the horrible realisation that perhaps the recording of our radio sitcom can't be done this year (well, it can be but to do it properly takes time, we're running out of that) but we are doing this properly and it should be worthwhile. I just want to do everything, now, but I think as tonight's show demonstrated perhaps I need to take a step back and calm down a bit - I'm mature enough to know that not everything I do is going to work the way I want it to, but I'm still childish enough to get stroppy about that fact.

No comments: