Saturday 13 October 2012

Gig report: Flaming June @ Oxjam Charity Gig, Bury St Edmunds

Band: Flaming June
Venue: Oxjam Folk Weekender @ All Saints Church And Hall, Bury St Edmunds
Date:13/10/12
Audience: Of the older nature, folky types, all very friendly
Set: Rejoice, Under My Skin, Rumplestiltskin, Those Were The Days, The Infidel, Nerves Of Steel, I Know What It's Like, The Devil's Daughter, Wednesday's & Weekends
Notes: Although I've been recording recently with Louise for the new FJ release (Rumplestiltskin EP), it feels like it's been a while since I've gigged with her but this starts the first of three gigs in a row - all as part of the Oxjam charity series of events in aid of Oxfam. Played this one as a trio and it's the first time I've been on stage with Diane, the band's new violinist. Louise and Diane had rehearsed and played together before so they knew their stuff and I know a majority of these songs so it gelled together pretty quickly - it's quite nice meeting somebody and then 20 minutes later going on stage with them. The set included two songs I don't know at all - Those Were The Days and The Infidel (the first of which I was perhaps rhythmically a little shaky on) but we bashed through them with enthusiasm and relative ease. Big-ish audience in the hall, and just like last year when I played this event I came away thinking this is very much the definition of the word 'nice'.

No comments: