Sunday 13 November 2011

'To The Brink' at The ADC/Recording with Laura/A decent weekend

This was always going to be a bit of a manic weekend, but I've actually had a really good time. On Friday evening my old chum Rob came over for beers - the man's a legend and not in the country enough, we drank too much till the early hours and I think I've offended my landlady because our late night banter was perhaps a little too loud and unsociable. It's not like I do this every week though...

On Saturday and Sunday I had the pleasure of spending time in the studio with Laura Tapp as she continues work on her debut album with producer Marto Randle. It's sounding great - my drum parts were done last time, but it was nice just to hang out there anyway and watch it all come together, some of it is genuinely spine tingling stuff. Laura writes brilliant songs, Marto has brilliant ideas, I'm thrilled to be associated with it. 'Aching' is an extraordinary song, completely and utterly heartbreaking, but in a way that I'm glad it exists, this material deserves to be heard. Due to other commitments I couldn't stay till the end on either day, but Laura's just text to say it's virtually done and is now in the mixing, can't wait to release this album.

Saturday evening was the Eureka Stockade gig in London, but I went on about that in the post below so will leave it there except to say I really do enjoy the company of these people. With all these projects at the moment I'm lucky to be continually working with some of the nicest and genuine people you can ever meet. Yes, that's cheesy, but yes, I'm tired, okay?

After another day in the studio today I then popped over to Cambridge where my very latest play, 'To The Brink' was being performed by WriteOn at the ADC Theatre bar. I'd be the first to admit I had strong doubts about this - you know how a couple weeks back my new material evening just died really badly because the scripts felt underdeveloped? I felt this evening could easily go that way too. But it didn't, because Julia directed it brilliantly with some fantastic ideas (this, after I had real concerns after last week's rehearsal - I'm more than happy to take these concerns back though). The cast were awesome too - it's a real wordy piece, even by my standards, but they stuck with it and never drifted, and so did about 90% of the audience I think. Some very nice things were said at the end about the play, and one or two constructive statements (Robert Jezek - an actor friend, talks a lot of sense, I'm don't always take in feedback but when he says something I tend to believe him, he really enjoyed it which made me happy, apart from the slightly weak conclusion). I still don't think it's a particularly good piece of writing, and was expecting it to be slaughtered tonight, but the vibe was nice, I feel like a good writer again.

It's been a good weekend, my double life as a drummer and playwright not clashing too much despite plenty of activity. Next up - writing the Christmas show. I've left it VERY late this year, but the first rehearsal of 'Four Elves And A Funeral' is Thursday evening. Feel sad that I've not got some of my regular cast this year (first Christmas show without Heather for example), but I have put an awesome team together and I have a sneaky suspicion this will be our best festive show ever. See, one good weekend and I turn into an arrogant little bugger.

Currently listening to: Slow Club (both albums and the Christmas EP), David Ford - Live In New York, KT Tunstall - Have Yourself A Very KT Christmas, Elvis Costello - Mighty Like A Rose
Currently reading: Rob Brydon - Small Man In A Book
Currently watching: Him & Her (series 2 on TV), Family Guy (TV), early Only Fools And Horses episodes (DVD)
Currently drinking: Nothing that is good for me, be it beer or caffeine
Currently eating: Pizza, mostly

No comments: