Monday 28 November 2011

Gig report: Backwood Cam @ Rees Guitar Hut, Cambridge

Band: Backwood Cam
Venue: Rees Guitar Hut, Cambridge
Date: 27/11/11
Audience: Friendly, intimate
Set: Black Magic Woman, Walk On By, Fragile, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Love Me Like A Man, Waiting In The Wings, Whiskey In The Jar
Notes: This is what I love about being a musician sometimes - the randomness. Rees Guitars are pretty established now for the accomplished musician wanting a six-string that has been custom made, and as a result a new workshop/showroom has been built in a hut in Cambridge. For it's launch, a party/gig was organised, and I was drafted in to join in the fun as Clive Rees - the man behind all the instruments, is the father of Izzy Nicolson (a good friend of mine and a regular actress in my productions). I played percussion for Clive's band, Backwood Cam, just a few slightly unrehearsed but largely enjoyable covers, and we all had a jolly time - the vibe was lovely, with good food, chat and further jamming later on, I ended up staying for hours because I was enjoying it so much. Big credit to my old chum Mark Allum too - he turned up to try out a few electric guitars and ended up playing bass for the band at the very last minute, he did so brilliantly.

No comments: