Friday 10 June 2011

Gig report: Trevor Jones Band @ The Haymakers, Cambridge

Band: Trevor Jones Band
Venue: The Haymakers, Cambridge
Date: 10/06/11
Audience: Minimal, polite
Set: All I Am, Badman, Shine A Light, I Don't Wanna Talk About It, Alive, Roll On The Rain, She Was Me, Old Fashioned Woman, Falling
Notes: Our third gig as Trevor Jones Band, I've got mixed feelings about tonight. I shouldn't let the lack of audience get to me, but it's the third gig in a row where our crowd has barely met double figures. A lot of people, friends, promised they'd make tonight's gig because it was being filmed by some professional cameramen and it's kind of essential for promotional material to have a good crowd whooping and all that. I know people have lives, and I know I do a lot of gigs and theatre stuff, and I know I can't rely on people because as a band you can't always depend on your friends to be the audience, but apart from Rich, Jack, Ken and James the audience was the other bands. I feel sorry for the venue - it's a wonderful venue run by a fantastic team, and seeing it this empty annoys me...don't people go to gigs anymore? Have all of my friends actually grown up into a world of Friday night television and cosiness? As I say though, it shouldn't be about the audience, it's about the music, and we were tighter than ever tonight - we're a good band you know, really sharp, and tonight was probably the best we've played so far. The banter afterwards kind of made it worthwhile, I love this bunch of people. But as a gig it was soul destroying. London gig tomorrow, which will probably be exactly the same situation, only with the inconvenience of having to travel to do it.

No comments: