Tuesday 30 December 2008

Peterborough part 2, 2008 drawing to a close

Just back from Peterborough, where my very latest script, a panto called Goldilocks And The Beanstalk, was performed by the locals. Compared to this time last week when we were happy to get out alive following the final date of 'On The 12th Day Of Alex', I was really happy with tonight. This is all very odd because 'Alex...' is by far the superior play, and with respect to the locals, it had a far superior cast. But that may have been the difference. For my alternative adult panto, which I wrote in 4 hours on Boxing Day, we used a cast purely made-up of Glass Onion locals, and they really seemed to enjoy being on stage. Despite the fact that the script was nothing more than a trad panto with 2 storylines combined, a couple bad lines about the credit crunch and some cheap talk about sex, it went down incredibly well tonight. I still don't fully understand, and it's certainly not a play I'm proud of or intend to ever use ever again if I'm to retain some level of dignity, but for tonight at least I am just proud I ticked the box required.

So, 2008 is drawing to a close. I've moaned a lot about this year, but on reflection it's been nothing but a learning curve. It's a cliche, but generally I feel I'm a bit stronger for it. Christmas was nice, I actually relaxed for the first time in about 12 months (since last Christmas, actually), but that hasn't stopped my mind working overtime on new ideas. Naturally, I am aware 2009 is a day away and I still have no idea which play(s) I'm going to be taking to Edinburgh next year, but I do realise that in Colin Woodham I have a decent actor on my side who is very keen, so I'd best get writing. Budgets and all that will be worked out later, it's time to get creative. Despite a fairly busy gigging schedule with The Lunar Pilots in January, I still intend to make the first month of the year a proper creative time, I've tidied my desk and everything...

The last day of the year looks like being a little hard work actually. For the rest of the country everybody will be getting ready to party, pity the poor musician who somehow agreed to form a covers band for the evening and has to play a charity gig. Rehearsals for the show, it has to be said, didn't go well, and I still fear we may lose James the vocalist before the evening due to issues/tension regarding the choice of songs. I do wish things could be a little simpler, sometimes, but I guess that would only make things boring.

No comments: