Wednesday 3 December 2008

New Year's Eve with a band that doesn't exist...

It all started a couple weeks back when I got a new mobile. Getting confused by the whole transferring numbers malarkey, I ended up putting the same number in for both Graham's I know. It just so happened that the Friday night that followed found me wanting a drink with 'Graham', and naturally I invited 'the other one' out by accident. It was awkward, but Graham is a nice chap - the father of my mate, and after the initial confusion, we enjoyed beers anyway and a slightly random chat. Not sure how we got there, but somehow I have now found myself organising the music for a New Years Eve gig for him. That's doable, and for charity too so I'm always keen to do my bit, but my delay in announcing the band (because I've not found one that is willing to play for nothing on the biggest earner of the year) lead to Graham putting my name on the posters as time is tight and promotion needs to begin. Suddenly, there's a good few posters out there advertising 'The Paul Richards Band', who are set to appear at the New Year's Eve show. Shit. The band doesn't exist, and I've got under four weeks to not only find some bandmates, but also learn a set with them and hope they don't mind the stupid band name that just looks like an ego trip from the drummer....

Otherwise all taking shape, the producing for WriteOn eventually went very well, mostly courtesy of the willingness of the ever brilliant and reliable Vaughan Allanson and Colin Woodham who have the talent and ability to play any character you throw at them. The Christmas show premiere's this weekend for the preview date, but I have a terrible cold so not sure if a snotty narrator is something people really want to see. Guess they'll have very little choice in the matter...ticket sales for the most promising performance of the show (which will be on the 19th at CB2 in Cambridge - the most promising because it's a cracking little venue, it's the Friday before Christmas and the show should be proper good by then) seemed to be causing us optimism due to a lot of promises, but then I stick a Facebook event up and f*ck all people are up for it, including some people I actually consider real friends. Just goes to show you can't take anything for granted, I'd best get writing a couple press releases and try and get some 'neutrals' in I guess. In the meantime, I'd best get back to editing the lines from the script that the rest of the cast very kindly pointed out could be considered offensive. I just can't tell anymore...

No comments: