Friday 21 November 2008

Buzzing

What a difference a couple days can make. On Tuesday the Christmas show was in a little doubt, as much as I was determined to put it on somehow. We'd lost a leading actor, venues were not chatting, it looked like being another show which never really happened. Now, a few days later we've confirmed 3 performance dates for the show, and most importantly managed to find ourselves an exceptional new leading man - Colin Woodham. Last night the rehearsals started and this team are amazing - Colin, Heather Yeadon, Victoria Welsh and of course Vaughan Allanson as the world's first ever Northern Santa Claus are just so easy to work with, the rehearsal felt like a delight from start to finish. Still a lot of work to be done before the first preview on the 7th December (before full performances on the 19th and 23rd), for example I still need to write a whole smutty stand-up routine for Father Christmas (never written stand-up before, I need to learn very quickly...), but I'm buzzing again now for the first time in a while. I think narrative comedy could be the way forward - I like the idea of a narrator on the side, connecting with the audience, as the actors do the clever stuff. I'm also going on a bit now, so I'll leave it there.

No comments: