Monday 3 December 2012

A very good Sunday

I enjoyed yesterday. As the year edges to a close I have naturally become a little reflective about where I am, where I want to be, what I've done, what I've forgotten to do this year, and plotting excitedly for 2013. It's going to be a big year for me; my ambitions are higher than ever, there's a kind of make or break feel at the moment. More on that another day, because this year isn't over yet and anything can happen in the next few weeks...well, within reason. But part of my thought process has been the drummer v writer struggle - what actually am I? Is it possible to do both? Where should my priorities fall when push comes to shove? Well, Sunday didn't help at all, but I guess that speaks volumes really about how lucky I am to have these many varied opportunities present themselves to me - in that drummer v writer struggle I know completely what I am - both. Of course.

Up early-ish on Sunday morning (but was still fashionably late) to record percussion for Trevor Jones' festive single. This was all a bit last minute - on Tuesday at the full band rehearsal, Trev - high on morphine due to back pain, played us a Christmas song he'd written a while back. We then carried on rehearsing the usual set ahead of a forthcoming show, but the song stuck in my head so I emailed him the next day suggesting we record it quickly, acoustically, and just get it out there. Trev discussed it with his management and they agreed, and it was also quickly noted that there was already a good solo recording of it knocking about already, so yesterday we just needed to add the extras, mix and master. It's called, 'A Very Merry Christmas Everyone' and it's a jolly little three minutes, on the folky side of things but beautifully well crafted and it was easy enough to lay percussion on this. We spent a couple hours getting that right, and then it was mixed and mastered before I received it via email later in the afternoon. It was set-up for release today and should be out in a couple days time...now we just need to let people know about it...

Single Cover.jpeg 
I went for lunch around my parents house afterwards as they are conveniently close to Farm Studios and my Dad seemed sceptical about how quickly this all came together. I then played him the track and he pointed out that Trevor is a "clever one" and that's pretty much the answer as to how this has worked out so well. It's a fantastic tune - but the production of it all and the way it's presented is equally as impressive and it's a privilege to be working with somebody who is not only this talented but equally somebody who is as keen as I am to get things done.

After lunch and then dinner with my parents (my mum likes to 'feed me up' - even if that means two meals in three hours) I headed back into Cambridge where my play, Toxic Tornado was being performed by WriteOn at the ADC Theatre bar as part of their Naked Stage season. Toxic Tornado has been knocking around for a while, only once previously given a public airing in a very ramshackle new material session last November. Heavily re-written, I sent this one onto WriteOn for consideration and they did me proud. Really proud. I know a lot of the WriteOn team, and they made a clear point of having a full cast/director work on my piece who I've never met before. I was slightly worried, I may have slipped into something of a comfort zone recently when it comes to casting but you know how it is - I know who 'gets' my material, I don't see the problem with having a regular pool of actors. But last night was just a wonderful thing; my play was the last on of four, the other three plays were excellent - and I haven't felt this proud in a long time about something I've written...yet it wasn't necessarily a script that on paper I was that fussed about. Christina the director - amazingly making her debut - added a new lease of life to it all, and the cast had clearly worked their backsides off because the every intricacy was nailed, remarkable considering the short rehearsal period. Every now and then at WriteOn you spot an actor who you just know you must work with - a couple years ago I noticed Izzy in a play and liked her comic timing (although I didn't actually get working with her until I started chatting to her at a Dowsing For Sound event months later), last year it was Grace who we ended up doing Edinburgh with this year. But last night I just sat there and felt that about all four of them; Amelia, Eifon, Emma, Mark - so much talent, enthusiasm, dedication - and understanding of the piece, every beat was nailed. And most importantly they're all lovely people too, a joy to chat to afterwards, there's a mutual admiration and a knowing that our paths will cross again very soon. The play itself went down a storm, the audience were a happy bunch, I drove home feeling like a very good playwright. And as much as I do a lot, and perhaps sometimes highlight successes on here, I often don't feel like that.

It feels like I'm living a double life at the moment - like many an aspiring creative person does; the routine 9-5 in the day, the artistic thrills, ups and downs of evenings and weekends. It does feel like the contrast is bigger than ever though, and not in a good way. 2013; I know it's four weeks away yet, but it's really time to push things. I had a very good Sunday, yesterday, I know this can be done.

No comments: