Wednesday 9 May 2012

Edinburgh scripts, Bank Holiday stuff

So, right, this is probably going to be the best summer ever. It kind of goes: Dowsing For Sound MASSIVE gig at the Cambridge Corn Exchange, British IBM tour, 2 shows at the Edinburgh Fringe, Lodestar Festival. And in between that lots of nice little things (the forthcoming event at Ickworth Park looks manic - I'm playing in three bands and also doing the relay for charity, a few festivals and hopefully we can finally get around to filming 'The Oscar Pike Diaries' as I'm proud of these scripts). And less nice things (turning 31). My to-do list keeps growing before I have a chance to really tick things off though, and I'm drinking too much Red Bull - even by my own standards. And the flat is a tip. But that would have probably been the case even if I wasn't busy because I am a messy person, end of.

The Wedding Singer musical was awesome by the way - we got it right by the final couple of performances, in fact I started to more than enjoy it, I found myself being genuinely excited by it all and want to do it all again. Maybe I've found my calling. Or maybe just because I like the challenge - it was a near impossible task to learn this in time but when it worked out I felt ever so powerful. I've not even claimed for my expenses yet, I feel I got a lot more from this show than any financial worth. Although it's this kind of mentality that is probably the reason why I'm always skint...

So, post-Wedding Singer, I was straight back into fringe meetings with the always fantastic Izzy and Grace. These girls (well, women, of course) have so much life to them it helps a great deal - so many ideas, so much drive, even when I'm on a knackered day they keep these projects nicely in shape. We've got a pretty strict rehearsal schedule now, and we're on the verge of confirming preview dates for both fringe shows in Cambridge, London and Bristol before Edinburgh, it's all very exciting. And Dowsing is very exciting too - I know it's all about the choir (and what a lovely bunch they are too), but the jams around Andrea's house with Gav, Nicky, Sammy and Andrea herself are nothing short of inspirational, we constantly challenge each other musically and it feels like there's a real musical mutual admiration there. Sammy - who joined us this year, fits in perfectly on guitar, he just 'gets it' and between all of us I can't help but feel it's it's limitless what we can create. On the few occasions we've joined up with the choir it's been a little nervy, as predicted, but it was like this last year and it will fit together after a few more sessions, and they have beautiful voices.

The Bank Holiday weekend was productive enough; beers with good friends Marcus, Jack, Ali and Michael on Friday (which turned into whiskeys at 4am whilst listening to Japanese jazz and Okkervil River mp3's), Saturday went to a wildlife park with a young lady which was oddly therapeutic - otters, tigers and all that, and fresh air - which I just don't get enough of these days, and then on Saturday night saw the quite remarkable Slow Club play in Cambridge. I love that band, and finally seeing them live was nothing short of inspiring. But after all that fun I needed to actually get things done - I don't think I have the capacity to switch off for more than a day at a time.

Finally finished writing, 'There's Absolutely Nothing Wrong With Oscar Pike,' - it's been a tricky beast to write. Whereas last year's show featured plenty of set changes as we followed Oscar in the run up to turning 30, this one is set completely in the one time zone - one evening, New Year's Eve. It's more of a challenge - I'm still not 100% all of it works but will re-write it until it does. Structurally I think it's solid, and the first 20 minutes is among some of my best material - but the tempo does drop a bit, it feels like a play very much of two halves at the moment, but at least there finally is a first draft that we can dig into and turn into something rather special. Our other Edinburgh show, 'Probably The Greatest Goal Ever Scored (And Other Tales)' is now being directed by Michelle Golder, which is by far the best news I've had all year as she always manages to add something to every show she's been involved with. It's going to be good you know, I just know, I just need to work on my time management a little better if we are to achieve everything I know we can this year...or say no to some projects, but we all know that's never been a strong point.

Currently reading: Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace
Currently watching: the climax of the football season, Not Going Out
Currently listening to: Allo Darlin - Europe; The Proclaimers - Like Comedy; Human Don't Be Angry - Human Don't Be Angry

No comments: