Monday 14 June 2010

Rainy British seasides/recording

It's been a while since I've written anything here; not because things aren't happening, but because it's all writing and admin-ee stuff at the moment which isn't that interesting to write about. Things seem roughly in good shape though - the material for the forthcoming sketch show is just about there, and the radio sitcom is to be recorded a week later, both of these will need a lot of plugging soon I think if they are to really work. Last week I had some leave from work, which was supposed to be for the Matt Corrall Band European tour (a tour which never happened in the end due to Matt having to move to Bristol) so Juliette and I took some time out to go to Newquay for a couple days - it rained, almost continuously, but there's still something about rainy British seasides that's good for the creativity and I came back with more ideas than I've had in months. The last few days of last week were spent recording with Rich Conway and Chris Lilley. The songs were based around a collection of lyrics I've been working on recently called 'A Rain Forest Full Of Paperwork' and they've turned out very interesting indeed - from the experimental, noise-based spoken word of 'Darling, My Head's On Fire' to the simple folk pop of 'Teddy Sheringham', I think we could be onto something here - ultimately it's just 3 musicians enjoying themselves with congas, guitars, bass, violins, fiddles and a 16 track recorder which cost £50 from a junk shop, but it sounds great. I've not heard the final mixes yet, but hopefully there will be some releasable material in there - and hopefully we'll have a band name soon at some point. All this, on top of promoting some of my Cracking Tunes artists for several hours, as well as writing topical comedy for a BBC Radio show with Alan Morgan and I'm slightly annoyed that I'm missing so much of the World Cup...

No comments: