Wednesday 5 August 2009

The preview dates

Did the preview dates last night in Cambridge and I have to say I haven't been that stressed in a long time. Was nothing to do with the show itself, was purely down to my lack of box office ability...the show had sold out long before the event itself, and I found myself in a bit of a panic when good friends, who had asked for tickets, turned up but I had forgotten to put them on the list. And then good friends of Victoria's, and a couple others too. I'm sure I broke the Health and Safety regulations somehow, we crammed loads of people into the tiny cellar of CB2 Restaurant, but I like that - there was a flattering demand to see this show, I think it's a clear sign that finally, after 4 years of putting on shows there, my work is perhaps needing a larger venue. Or, people just like coming out on a Tuesday. Anyway, thanks to the bar staff very kindly lending me extra chairs from the main bar we just about got away with it, but can't have been comfortable for those poor audience types. The performances themselves were near spot-on during both performances (we did two, one at 7.30pm, one at 9pm, with a 25 minute break) and the cast energy levels were fantastic throughout. Once again, actors amaze me, and Pam's authority seemed to keep them on their toes. As for how the play was received...well, I felt the first performance was a bit lacking in the laughter department, and was a bit concerned and even momentarily down about it. The second performance went down an absolute storm and we left the venue buzzing. I've been told today by several friends who were at the first showing that it was a great show and that they were laughing, and I'm probably weird/deaf for not spotting this. That's cool then, I may be a weirdo but as long as people like the show.

We travel to Edinburgh on Friday, and there's still a few concerns. The flyers have arrived which is a huge relief, but sudden fears on whether our accommodation will actually fit us all in, what the venue looks like and financial concerns still rattle around a little, but that's all part and parcel of the Edinburgh Fringe. When I get there, know that I have a floor to crash on, know that the venue looks like a venue, and have a pint in one hand and a random stand-up comedian telling crude jokes in front of me I know I'll be at home.

No comments: