Thursday 7 May 2009

Gigging

I love gigging, me. Big gigs, small gigs - when I'm sat behind my rather stunning, if slightly scratched kit I feel more at home than I do at...well, home. But I've done 3 very different gigs over the last week;

Friday: Eureka Stockade at the Portland Arms; EP launch for our 'Distant Lives' 4 track recording, nice little venue, the legend that is Bill Campbell doing the sound for us. I have to admit to not entirely enjoying this show - there seemed to be an air issue in the venue - lack of it. I'm also just not convinced we did ourselves justice, we're a better band than that performance suggested, but you know - if you strive for perfection you're unlikely to get it very often. We were a fair way off, to be honest, but the audience reaction has still been very nice.

Saturday: Joe Public at March working men's club. More depping for the covers band. Playing some of the greatest songs ever written, in front of an audience who didn't seem to care. Playing 'Let It Be' to that 'crowd' felt oddly touching though, in a way that I can only explain in the form of a novel which I intend to someday write...

Wednesday: Lunar Pilots at Dingwalls, Camden. The usual politics and malarkey which goes with playing a bigger show. Ticket sales, frustrating soundchecks, bandmates being unable to park, drummer getting a little confused on the tube, debates about where to eat - rhythm sections seem to prefer Nandos all the way, and that's because we know best, obviously. Gig itself was okay, lovely venue and nice equipment, audience over excited but in a good way (is there a bad way?). Random girl praised my drumming after the set and asked to have her photograph taken with me - naturally I agreed, and it was all very nice, but I still can't work out if it was genuine or sarcasm. Either way, my ego went up a notch or two.

And that's kind of been my week so far. Alongside going to a dog show, a fair, an evening of African-themed poetry/art and an inspiring rehearsal with Kerry (his left leg is playing the bass, his right leg is controlling the sustain pedal, his left hand is playing the piano, his right the synth...amazing), all of which was good.

Just back from a meeting (in a pub, naturally) with Alan, my co-writer for the sketch show which takes place in early June. Anita Lehmann is going to direct, and between us we're just about scraping enough material to make the show, but it may be tight.

I'm working hard, I really am, but is any of this getting me anywhere? I need a break way - luckily I'm away with my lovely girlfriend this weekend, we head off to Somerset. I've not actually 'relaxed' for about a year I think, this may be what I need...

No comments: