Friday 6 June 2014

Terrible Love

Last night was really nice. In the band rehearsal for The Dowsing Sound Collective session we looked at a couple tunes we played at the first ever Dowsing show (back in January 2011...you know - that gig I'll constantly tell you was the best show of my life), Differente and Terrible Love. It reminded me once again just how beautiful that night was, and playing those two tracks - in the middle of what was a very productive rehearsal anyway - added a sense of rousing joy to the session.

Nobody does Terrible Love like Dowsing; okay, so I appreciate The National (who wrote it) are a bloody good band, but with those voices, and that arrangement...it's going to be spectacular, again. Do come to the shows in Bury St Edmunds next month if you can.

It got me thinking about just how great things actually are, and the special things that have been achieved over the last few years. It's great that projects evolve, but sometimes it's really healthy to take a step back and appreciate all the good things that have happened. It made me realise I'm working too fast at the moment with all the band and comedy stuff, it's fun having ideas and the opportunities to bring them to life in an instant, but actually I feel like a tourist being dragged through the sites, not stopping to take them in but merely ticking them off on a 'places I have seen' list.

This weekend I have four gigs, 2 lounge shows and a day of filming...when those are done, I'll take a little more time out to reminisce and I'll probably appreciate some of those moments even more.

It's been a good week; started rehearsals with Claudia McKenzie's band and it was remarkably good fun (her songs and musicians are exceptional - first gig with them next week), I've nailed the first draft script for the stage version of The Paul Richards Disasters and we filmed some scenes for the sitcom version. Now I'm trying to get back into the swing of Getting Lost In My Hometown, having not performed it for a month (performances start again this Sunday). It's all very exciting, I just hope when I look back on these days I will look at them with the same fondness as the glory days of 2011...

No comments: