Sunday 13 October 2013

Gig report: The British IBM @ Fab Cafe, Manchester

Band: the British IBM
Venue: Fab Café, Manchester
Dates: 12/10/2013
Audience: Busy
Set: Cannibal, 3 Years, Animal, Sugar Water, Feeling, Bob Noyce, CGE Adventures, The British IBM, Washing Machine
Notes: When you buy a nice-looking new drum kit - be wary of the cheap extras that come with it. My new cocktail kit is an awesome thing, made from top-quality Maplewood, and I like it very much - but some of the hardware isn't so great, and two tracks in to this gig the bass pedal fell apart. I should have known, really, it didn't look the sturdiest, I really should have packed my sturdy Tama Speed Cobra pedal instead as that'll never break but still...a learning curve, and an obstacle quite early on in the show. Actually the kit itself was fine, it perhaps won't cut it in a bigger venue but the retro-themed Fab Café was intimate enough for us to cut it and performance wise I became more of a percussionist using the floor-tom with my right hand for any bass beats. The cocktail kit is a marvellous thing - a kit you can play standing up, a kit that fits in your boot, I'm very fond of it already. This was the first and last British IBM gig for a while; Aidy and Dave spent the whole weekend at a retro games fest in Manchester and I turned up for the gig side of things which was the aftershow party for the retro gamers. Gig itself felt a bit flat, that always the danger of one-off gigs because sometimes you need a few to hit your stride despite being well rehearsed, but some of it (CGE Adventures, for example) sounded great.

No comments: