Wednesday 23 January 2013

The First New Material Night Of The Year

I wasn't looking forward to last night's show as much as I normally do - it's been a slightly uncertain start to the year and I was even more uncertain about the material I had been working on for it. I needn't had worried though because the first Fat Fox Productions new material session of 2013 was a genuine cracker - sometimes things just work out. The audience played a big part in this - the opening piece, 'The Lovely Girl In The Supermarket' was met with big laughter from the very first joke, and if you get them laughing early on everyone calms down a bit and that vibe continued throughout the evening, especially for 'Great Achievers' which was supposed to be a comedy-drama of the darker nature but when you have a comedy crowd in they see the humour in everything. Izzy was on top form throughout, just a little reminder at how good an actress she actually is, and our guests were fantastic too - Anne-Marie Eeles with the stand-up and Rick Letchford playing tunes. Big-ish crowd there last night which worried me a bit at first as you sometimes don't need that when trying out material you've literally just finished writing - but they were all lovely, good to see people who haven't seen my work previously turn up (Rhian, Georgia, Richard, Onat, Lucy, Roisin, Thomas) alongside our regulars (Liz - an incredibly loyal supporter of my work who was sadly there for the last time before she moves to Australia, Julia, Andy, Hind, Marcus, Alister) and obviously some people I didn't know.

Last night's show helped me a great deal - I learnt that 'The Lovely Girl...' is suitable for the tour show with a little tweaking, 'Great Achievers' works a treat but isn't a fringe show but it's nice to have it in the bag anyway. That does mean though I should probably start working on the actual fringe show at some point.

I know having a really good crowd isn't a way of measuring the quality of material or performance, but I really needed that last night - this is what I do, it works, we're onto something here and we have been for a while - more nights like this please.

No comments: