Sunday 4 November 2012

Pre-tour thoughts

It's been a busy couple of weeks with plenty of gigs with plenty of bands, and alongside all of this I've been working hard on the Christmas shows, the Christmas album, lots of bits of promotion (radio/newspapers) for the new projects and of course trying to nail my lines for the forthcoming tour..'Some Plays By Paul Richards' opens on Thursday night. Rehearsals have been either worrying because I'm still not quite nailing these lines yet, or really brilliant because it is the best material I've written in a long time - I'm much more fond of this than I am of the Oscar Pike stuff already because it's just remarkably honest and structurally it's all come together nicely. Yet if I get it wrong, it could be a mess...it's always the danger I guess of performing my own work; the power to destroy it. I really need to get focused, but after a minor flood in the flat I'm renting (a burst pipe in the bedroom) I've been forced to move back in to my parents' house for a week whilst the floor dries out and suddenly I'm being distracted all over the place. 3 days of intense rehearsal before the show hits the road, Claudia is brilliant fun to work with and before she went to India the direction of Izzy was superb - she just 'gets' my work more than most people. I'm on the edge with this show - this could be something rather brilliant, but I just need to put the hours in to make sure it comes together in time.

Finding the hours is never an easy thing though of course, and I'm still itching to work on other projects - the Christmas shows (any excuse to listen to festive tunes a bit early...), the radio sitcom, the Christmas album still needs finishing, the forthcoming new material night, the re-recording of 'The 12 Monologues Of Christmas' and a script for Louise Hamilton's alter-ego, Eartha Tydeville which will be a stage-show for next year (probably at the fringe). I've also got an idea for a musical which I am determined to write with the genius that is Alister Bunclark...one step at a time though, and that step has to be 'Some Plays By Paul Richards' for the next week or so. This really could go either way. Do come and see the show if you get a chance though (tickets here: www.ticketsource.co.uk/fatfoxproductions) if only to see a grown man stress a bit.

No comments: