Sunday 30 October 2011

Gig report: Flaming June @ Oxjam - All Saints Church, Bury St. Edmunds

Band: Flaming June
Venue: All Saints Church, Bury St. Edmunds
Date: 29/10/11
Audience: Charming, lots of them
Set: Rejoice, Under My Skin, Nerves Of Steel, I Know What It's Like, The Insane Ex-Girlfriend Parade, You Do Moody So Well, The Devil's Daughter, Stop The Ride, Rumplestiltskin, Little Love In A Cruel World, Wednesdays And Weekends
Notes: My second Oxjam gig in seven days, this time with Flaming June over in Bury St. Edmunds. On arrival my first impressions were that this would be one of the strangest gigs I've played in a while, and in theory it still was - but also one of the nicest. It was an all day event I think (I'm not too sure - I turned up half an hour before the gig and had to leave shortly after our set), and it had a very Vicar Of Dibley vibe to it all, I mean that in a good way. The act before us was a bunch of Morris dancers, the audience were all seated and either drinking tea or real ale. There was lots of them, they were perhaps slightly older than our usual crowd, but also incredibly lovely - they seemed to pay attention attentively and really enjoyed what we did. Perhaps this is why I felt slightly uncomfortable at first - I'm just not used to this level of niceness. Anyway, despite a minor issue with the monitors we played well I think, haven't played with Flaming June for a few weeks but the songs are pretty embroiled into my head now and I thought we were pretty tight and everyone played well, came away feeling happy. I then went off to a Halloween party with Heather, dressed as Frankenstein and generally looking a bit awkward in my costume and unable to see out of my mask. Fortunately, on arrival, a small child was frightened by my appearance so I had to take the mask off for the rest of the evening, and apparently my real face isn't half as scary, which is always good to know.

No comments: