Saturday 6 August 2011

Gig report: Unknown band @ Wedding, Bassingbourne

Band: Genuinely didn't have a name as far as I was aware
Venue: A wedding party in Bassingbourne, Cambridgeshire
Date: 06/08/11
Audience: Cheery, all wedding-ed up
Set: Crocodile Rock, All Shook Up, Drive My Car, Don't Let The Sun Go Down, House Is Rockin', Hippy Hippy Shake, Hallelujah I Love Her So, Great Balls Of Fire, Bad Moon Rising, Angels, 10 Out Of 10, Baggy Trousers, Twisting The Night Away, She's The One, Mustang Sally.
Notes: This started out as a day which I genuinely wasn't too sure about. Starting with our first 'Oscar Pike...' rehearsal since June, and then off to dep for a wedding band playing songs I didn't really know. But all in all, everything went surprisingly well. The Oscar Pike stuff made me smile again, like it did a few months back before I got distracted by other projects, we've got the dress rehearsal on Wednesday ahead of a couple performances next week in Edinburgh and I think we'll be fine you know - the lines are roughly there, and what lines aren't there are generally covered up by the confidence on stage anyway. Then I dashed over to Bassingbourne to set up my drums ahead of tonight's wedding gig. I don't normally play function or cover shows; nothing against them, just not really my scene. But my mate Neil needed someone at short notice, I was free, it's good to keep playing, especially playing different styles, good way to stay in shape. The band was formed by three friends of his who are in a band anyway, and two of them worked with the bride, so they put together a makeshift band adding Neil and myself to the line-up, and we went for it pretty much unrehearsed but trusting each other's ability. After a delay as, like weddings do, things overran, we played a nice little set in the marquee outside. For an unrehearsed band it was impressive stuff, okay - so it wasn't the tightest, but on the 12 bar stuff we could all really let fly and the audience seemed to like all of it - it's a wedding, everybody was so overdosed in love anyway, the odd shaky ending wasn't going to bother them. I'm a bit concerned at how well I knew the Robbie Williams stuff, and it felt nice to play 'Crocodile Rock' as (as he informed me the other day) my dad used to cover that years ago. It could have been terrible, but it was pretty respectable, the happy couple seemed extremely happy with it, which is obviously the most important thing of all. I felt very appreciated, got paid, and got home before 10pm - these things never normally happen.

No comments: