Sunday 17 July 2011

Probably The Greatest Goal Ever Scored @ The ADC Theatre Bar, Cambridge

My very latest play, 'Probably The Greatest Goal Ever Scored' was performed for the first time tonight by WriteOn at the ADC Bar in Cambridge. I wrote it a couple months back, 15 minutes before the deadline on a Friday evening, and kind of forgot all about it. It's late, I'm still hungover from last night (in which, on a rare break from anything I met up with friends Andy and Marcus and went to a local festival, where we got drunk and I fell into a ditch on the way home), but I'm actually buzzing about how well tonight went. People continually accuse me of being modest, but in all truthfulness I wasn't sure about this script - it's long, it's rambling, I got bored reading it again the other day. But this cast and director are awesome - Grace and Alan were perfect for the roles and really gave the whole thing a sense of life, Jenny is an outstanding director with frightening attention to detail skills. It worked, it was the closing piece to the current WriteOn season and it went down remarkably well - better than a majority of my stuff does by some distance. A lovely sold-out audience who laughed at the right time, understood the subtleties, the feedback session was largely positive, my ego was enhanced considerably. The slightly fluffy ending was warmly received thanks to the beautiful way in which it was performed, I had genuine doubts but it was just one of those lovely evenings when things work out. It just goes to show that I'm not really a good judge of my own work at all, but I'm happy tonight. I want to write more for these characters, I want to work with Jenny, Grace and Alan again as, apart from one small monologue of mine ('Slow Puncture') that Alan performed last year this is the first time I've had the pleasure of working with these people. And it was a pleasure. Maybe a 6 x 10 minute YouTube series for the characters of Lucy and 'My Beloved Nigel'? My head is buzzing with ideas, which is annoying because I could really do with some sleep. It's evenings like this though that gives me faith that all this constant working on new material does sometimes lead to fun times.

No comments: