Monday 9 May 2011

Week of the show

On Thursday 'Is It Too Late To Save Oscar Pike?' opens in Cambridge. I know I've been going on about this for a while now, but this show is starting to mean a great deal to me, to the extent that I've taken the week off work to prepare myself for it and to generally chill out a little bit. Today hasn't been the most productive - I blame the heat, woke up too early and decided to get a hair cut so I look more 'in character' (Oscar is essentially a smarter version of me) and then delayed any productivity by doing the kind of things that I only do when I'm trying to avoid doing something really important, such as ironing and cleaning the bathroom. In a minute I'll write my column for the Hunts Post and reply to emails which have been building up, and then reply to a few more queries from the media about the show, and then probably do some more cleaning...but I need to focus on the show because it's this week, but how many times can a man look at a script in one day? Last night's rehearsal was encouraging, although I'm still getting one scene wrong - the same scene I've been getting wrong since the first rehearsal, the dialogue is a little repetitive, see. I blame the writer. But at least I'm not getting the whole play wrong, like I was a few weeks back. We're making good progress - some of it even looks really slick, it's all very exciting. Tomorrow I'll be going over lines with Michelle the director during the day, before a rehearsal in the evening, and then on Wednesday it's the dress rehearsal, and then Thursday two performances - both of which are complete sellouts (we've actually oversold tickets, not sure how this is going to work). I've also been taking the advice of others, and mostly Michelle, about my lifestyle ahead of this production - my energy levels are withering a little during the hour of the play, I'm looking a little pasty...so this week I'm also intensively exercising (well, a good solid hour a day), quitting the energy drinks (well, kind of) and eating lots of vegetables with my meals (well, carrots), this could really change the way I live altogether. We'll see, if Thursday dies on it's arse, slobby boy Richards will no doubt return.

Currently watching: How Not To Live Your Life - Series 2 (DVD), Family Guy
Currently listening to: Okkervil River - I Am Very Far (without question the album of the year, possibly life changing), Madness - The Rise And Fall
Currently reading: Dawn French - A Tiny Bit Marvellous
Currently sporting: A trendy new haircut (well, it's a little bit shorter)

No comments: