Thursday 3 June 2010

First rehearsal of the sketch show

Just back from the first rehearsal/reading of our new sketch show, The Hedgehog Collective. As like last year's Cambridge Comedy Festival entry, it's a 45 minute sketch show for 2 men and 2 women, and co-written by myself and Alan Morgan. The first session for any sketch show is always horrific for us writers - because it's where the bad sketches get thrown out, yet we don't know they're bad until they've been performed in the rehearsal space and everyone cringes a bit. There was a bit of that tonight, but not anywhere near as much as last year, which suggests I'm actually a better writer 12 months down the line. Or people are just nicer. And as always there's a few surprises, sketches that don't work at all on paper but come good when performed, I've found that with my 'Missing Daughter' sketch, which shouldn't work because it's just wrong but everybody loves it. And my 'Duncan The Superhero' sketch is the best thing I've written in ages according to Juliette, which means a lot to me because I maybe firing lots at the moment, but I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders. Anyway, back on the Red Bull now, anything can happen.

No comments: